JUNE MONTHLY RECIPE: WATERMELON STEAK WITH AGED BALSAMIC, ORGANIC FETA & PISTACHIO SALT AND MINT
This recipe is very simple, we combine the watermelon with feta & balsamic and sear it like a steak. Sweetness and texture of the watermelon combined with the saltiness of the feta and the balsamic gives it a great character. Both savoury and refreshing at the same time.
It was an exciting discovery to try to sear a watermelon and ever since then it has become a summer tradition.
Sourcing the good quality watermelon is the most important task of this recipe, look for a medium size. It must be heavy and sound hollow when knotted.
The yellow strip indicates that it has ripen on the wine.
Here you can read more about healthy benefits of watermelon:
2 kg medium size watermelons
200 gr organic feta cut in cubes
4tbsp aged balsamic
2 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
Few picked small leaves of mint
15 gr Green pistachios
20 gr mezuna salad
Maldon sea salt
You can pare it down to the essential contrast, and serve no more than a plate of chunked watermelon, sprinkled with feta and mint and spritzed with lime, but this full-length version is hardly troublesome to make and once made will, I assure you, become a regular feature of your table.
- Remove the rind and pips from the watermelon, and cut into 10cm x 4cm wide and 2 cm thick, marinated with aged balsamic, touch of olive oil and seta side.
- Cut the feta into roughly 1 cm cubes and set a side.
- Chop the pistachios with a chef knife adding the Malden salt at the end to obtain a pistachio salt
- Sear the watermelon on the hot dry pan to char it slightly on both side, place it on the centre of the plate, scatter the cubes of feta on top, season with pistachio salt and topped with few mezuna leaves and the picked mint.
- The watermelon will release some juices when set for a minute, drizzle some olive oil.